Illustrated Replete With Pictures

By N. R. Ohara

Like one of the six best sellers in shape and the Pathe Weekly in content, the new Illustrated swings into line with a spirited purpose. The first number is dedicated to the Class of 1921, and it will doubtless tickle the Freshmen because there is no salutatory editorial of ponderous advice on the first page. For the Illustrated now, for the first time, affords an answer to "What's in a name?" and becomes an illustrated magazine and no more.

The attitude of the shrunken board of editors with regard to the Illustrated's duty is sane and therefore commendable. There is no denying that "if Harvard in peace is an object of pictorial interest, Harvard at war is memorable." So, with an all-picture line-up, there is no prose in the first number to criticize except the explanatory editorial on page one, which includes a split infinitive.

The Illustrated's photographic staff will yet be as famous for their pictures as the University's literary editors will be for their writings. Some especially fine photographs are reproduced. The one of "Caliban" is quite better than any taken by professional camera men last June. Much can be said for the clearness, variety and appositeness of the other pictures. It is worthy of note that the Illustrated is this year to furnish press syndicates with photographs of Harvard life--an arrangement that is most complimentary to the art staff of the magazine.

From the business office viewpoint, the first number is a fine success; it carries six pages of paid advertisements.