UNIVERSITY WAR LIST SWELLS

6429 HARVARD MEN ENGAGED IN ALL BRANCHES OF NATIONAL SERVICE.

The latest issue of the Alumni Bulletin gives an addition of 679 names to the number of University men in war service, a number which reached 4750 on August 23, when the first reports of the War Records Committee were published. This brings the total up to 5429. The distribution of these men in different branches of service is given below, with the gains since August 23 in the first column and the totals in the second:

These figures cannot be said to include all University men in service, but only most of those whose names have reached the War Records Committee by various, though by no means exhaustive channels. Undoubtedly many more additions will be made by the Committee under the direction of F. S. Mead '87, treasurer of the Harvard Club of Boston and one of the directors of the Alumni Association. Mr. Mead will succeed A. Johnson '95, who found it necessary to give up the work which he carried through during the first months of the war. Mr. Mead has also been appointed by the Corporation as editor of the University Directory, and he plans to compile and maintain a list of all living University men, with their addresses for the general use of the College and its graduates. The entire work is being done for the Alumni Association.   Gain  Total United States Army  301  1997 Harvard R. O. T. C. and other military bodies  70  917 Foreign Armies  9  122 United States Navy  60  713 Medical Service  71  591 Red Cross and other relief work  36  229 Ambulance Service  59  420 National, state, and other committee work  55  498 Miscellaneous  18  125 679  5429