AN INVASION OF RUSSIA.

With the temporary cessation of activity along the Western Front, interest centers on the movements near Riga and the threat at Petrograd. Whenever a foe plans to invade Russia, one wonders if history will repeat itself. Is there any possibility that the Teutons will be caught in another Poltava or in a second Retreat from Moscow? Some seem to think this likely.

Changed methods of warfare and German thoroughness make such a trap improbable. Charles XII and Napoleon lived on the land through which they passed; but Hindenburg's army would have to depend on a base of supplies well in the rear. For this reason, the line of communications is not so apt to be neglected as in former campaigns. The Teutons have followed their advances by an adequate and efficient system of railways. Furthermore, the large number of forces involved renders impossible a separate incursion involving only a small portion of the troops. Security demands that no section of the line move so far ahead as to form a long narrow salient. What progress is made into Russia must be very slow, since an enormous front is concerned. To consider a German drive without proper precaution for defense is to neglect their policy and temperament. Teutons have so far made possible by their thoroughness a tenacious hold on what they have gained; it is unlikely that they would invade Russia with any less care and preparation.