THE COLLEGE PROFESSOR AT WAR.

Washington today is filled with college professors, who are drawn, like so many others, by that irresistable attraction which the capitol of any republic possesses in times of great stress or governmental reorganization. They are busily engaged in every department of government, on every form of war work. The intelligence department of the Army War College is paying them high salaries to translate the letters and documents of the German war prisoners; they are drawing charts and fixing prices in the Food Administration; many are organizing the resources of the country on the Council of National Defense. They have even invaded the War Department. The committee which classifies the personnel of the army and selects the specially trained for their work is made up of men who, a few months ago, were behind desks and before blackboards teaching philosophy, psychology, and economics.

In spite of horned-spectacles and mild manners, these professors' suggestions have been worthy of serious consideration. Their war plans have in mind something more than the mere running of the war. It was they who, under the title of intellectuals, hoped that war might come, in order that many of the injustices which they believe have existed in the past might be corrected. Their lives had been spent in dealing with principles and theories and abstractions. But now they have come into power at a time when many things are being changed and theories may actually be put into practice. They see that though the wear may do much harm it may also be the source of much that is good. Their vision reaches beyond the peace council that is yet to come. They are aiming at the creation of a new order in this country where the virtues of war may be the blessings of peace, and the United States shall be a partner as well as a contributor to the wealth and power of the world.