"GET IN CLOSE CONTACT."--PERRY

Value of Personal Social Service Work Pointed Out at Conference.

The value of social service to the man who devotes a part of his time to the work of Phillips Brooks House was emphasized at the community service conference last evening. About 150 men attended the meeting which was addressed by Professor R. B. Prry '97, A. A. Ballantine '04, and F. K. Bullard '20.

Cass Canfield '19 opened the meeting stating that the subject was "What we can do and how much." He pointed out the large field covered by the work of Phillips Brooks House and the large range of opportunities open to all.

Professor Perry spoke on the great value of social service to the man taking part. He called attention to the "long range" service of college men and advised all men to get into close contact. This getting into close contact with the outside world he emphasized as the chief advantage of social service work.

"The best way to see and understand the state is to have an interest in its social problems. To cultivate a spirit of fraternity is the only way; not pity or the kind of fraternity that makes a man so sensitive that he can't bear to ride in a street car because there are women standing in it, but fraternity such as exists between farmers when they get together for a barn raising. Every contact with the average man is a way of teaching democracy."

A. A. Ballantine '04 discussed what men came to college for, saying it was not only to make friends and study but to learn how to meet the issues of life which were sure to come up. He spoke of the work as an "avenue toward development of qualities so much needed in later life."

F. K. Bullard '20, Social Service Secretary of Phillips Brooks House told how those interested could apply themselves. There is the elementary work which consists of teaching and work in boy's culbs, and the more advanced for which more mature men are wanted.