INTERNATIONAL LAW ALIVE.

There is one subject in the college curriculum which is daily and constantly changing, shifting its values and broadening its scope. Cynics claim that subject to be dead. A few go further and swear that it never really existed. But what do these protestations avail? For international law is living today, and living a more active, strenuous life, than ever in the past. Had it human attributes it would surely laugh to scorn those who are now pronouncing its autopsy. Or to make sure that it is not suffering from some hidden malady, let them call in consultation as medical advisers, the Justices of the Supreme Court. What would be their decision, and what has it been in similar cases in the past? That the patient may have received a black eye, or been bruised or otherwise maltreated by some belligerent in the war, but that its pulse is as strong, its brain as clear, and its voice as authoritative as before it read its own obituary. And to add weight to their diagnosis they would issue a bulletin, assuring the world that they still felt bound to obey literally the word of their patient, regardless of any circumstances they might urge as excuses.

To give the message that international law is not of the past, and to interpret to no small degree the present policies of belligerent and neutral states, is in large measure the aim of the courses given in international law this year. One short hour's talk from a specialist would probably convince the most aseptically of students of the folly of his thoughts. But should words fall; let him elect one of these courses and speedily discover that he was dealing with a very lively corpse indeed.