WAR DISCUSSED BY VAN DYKE

GERMANY'S MACHINATIONS AND TREACHERY REDATED BY EX-MINISTER.

The Reverend Henry Van Dyke, D. D., recent Minister to the Netherlands, and Professor of English Literature at Princeton University delivered a forceful talk before an audience of law and graduate students in Phillips Brooks House last night. His subject was "The United States and the World War" and his speech consisted of an indictment of Germany and an absolute justification of the course taken by the United States.

Dr. Van Dyke began his talk by emphasizing the seriousness of our present position. "We must think it out and fight it out from the beginning. We are conscientious objectors, not in the narrow sense of those who object to fighting but in the larger sense of those who object to the injustice, tyranny, and barbarism of Germany," he stated. At this point, Dr. Van Dyke brought forward a number of arguments proving that the war was long premeditated by Germany, and that the assassination of the Austrian Archduke was the means and not the cause for its origin. He further showed that Russia offered three time to stop mobilization and refer the whole matter to arbitration if Austria would stop her attack on Servia, but the only reply was from Germany, which, without consulting her ally, stated that Austria could not accept.

Dr. Van Dyke then turned to the subject of Belgium and cited instance after instance proving, that Germany's policy was one of terrorization by atrocities.

In conclusion, Dr. Van Dyke maintained that the German submarine warfare, German espionage, bomb plots, and all such machinations had forced us irrevocably into a war which we must fight out until we have forced upon Germany the realization and expiation of her crimes.