RUSSIA OUT OF IT.

No better example of the old adage "it never rains but it pours" could be found than the history of the war during the last month. Now, as a climax to this series of defeats and discouragement's, comes the news of the triumph of the Maximalists and the Bolsheviki, the capture of the Winter Palace, and the flight of Kerensky. This is one of the few single events of the war that seems irretrievable, that offers no ray of hope or consolation. Even should Kerensky succeed in rallying the Army to his support and reestablishing a new government in Moscow, it would be impossible to be of active assistance to the Allies with the revolutionary focus at Petrograd outflanking the Russian positions.

German intrigue in Russia has at last accomplished its purpose by undermining the republican government and winning over the Petrograd populace to the red party of anarchy. For however radical Kerensky may have appeared to our eyes, yet he was a nationalist, and had a firm, and reasonably constructive view of foreign affairs. The victorious parties have no leadership, except from Berlin, and no principles, except to show their appreciation for democracy by openly fighting for autocracy. Until, worn out by their excesses, the people react and demand a conservative, stable government, there is no hope for the Allies from Russia, and judging from past revolutions that period will be long. Nations have seen years of blood before the new and better era dawned.