"BE SOLDIERLY."--DR. CROTHERS

Character of World After War Depends Upon Those Who Are Young Now.

"Be Soldierly" was the command which Dr. Samuel McCord Crothers of the First parish Church (Unitarian) of Cambridge hammered into the minds of his hearers last night at the regular Monday evening meeting for 1921 in the Smith Hall Common Room.

"You are to determine what kind of a world we are to live in during the next generation," said Dr. Crothers, after stating that he looked forward not to a long drawn out struggle, but to a sharp and bitter one of shorter duration. "Whether the general trend of the world after the war is good or evil depends upon the men coming back and upon those growing up, and mostly upon the latter, which means upon you."

Dr. Crothers went on to say that he could not understand how anyone could go on doing now just what he had done before the war. "Determine to lead a soldierly life right now," he advised," and by being soldierly, I mean possessing not only the quality of obedience, but also that of generalship. Be commander-in-chief of all the forces under you power, and marshal them for the fight now and after the war.

"When the time comes, there is going to be a mighty struggle for ideals. That is why the universities and colleges of America should be the centre of a kind of manhood that is soldierly, that has moral decision and generalship. The battle front in Europe moves onward slowly, thrusting out a wedge in the enemy's line, and gradually widening that narrow wedge until the whole line is even with it, and ready to push forward a new attack in another place. It is just so that civilization attacks barbarism, and the fight for the future moves on. They way in which I should most desire to be know," said Dr. Crothers in conclusion, "is not as a poet or preacher, but as a good soldier in the battle for the liberation of humanity."

The meeting came to an end with the singing of several hymns and others songs under the direction of Dr. Davison. The series of talks ofr 1921 is nearly over; it is probable that only 3 more will be held.