THE RUSSIAN KALEIDOSCOPE

Events are taking place os fast in Russia that the situation of one day is entirely changed before dawn of the following day. Differing groups coalesce or separate, cities change their allegiance from one faction to another, former leaders return to activ3e politics, the army enthusiastically supports the most eloquent speaker,--in short, the entire tern of affairs, however definite it may have been is unrecognizable shifted. From the meager reports that come through, it can be gleaned that the counter revolution is already under way, that the Army is supporting it, that Moscow is again in the hands of the Loyalists, and Petrograd about to be. But the truly significant feature is that Kerensky. Korniloff, and Miliukoff are now fighting on the same side, subordinating their personal quarrels to the common good. If this means the Kerensky has been won over to the Moderates, it bids well for the future; if it is merely a temporary alliance which will be abandoned as soon as the immediate danger is past, then the Rusian crisis must be regarded as black as ever. But judging from the present reports of the amazing and unexpected success of the conservative elects, a situation has been created which offers the Allies a chance to strengthen the Kerensky government, and thereby maintain au unbroken Russian front against the Toutonic Powers.