PASTEUR PRELIMINARIES HELD.

Six Men Chosen to Compete in Finals on November 27.

In the preliminary contest for the Pasteur Medal held last evening in Sever 11, six men were selected to take part in the final contest which will take place November 27. The following were the successful speakers: L. S. Bing, Jr., '19, L. Brentano '18, R. T. Bushnell '19, J. Davis '19, W. Hettleman '19, and W. L. Prosser '18.

Eleven candidates tried out last night most of them taking the affirmative side of the question, which ran as follows: "Resolved, that the French government should take by taxation at least 75 per cent of the excess profits made by French manufacturer sand tradesmen during the war." The three judges who decided upon the speakers were R. L. Hawkins, L. J. A. Mercier, and E. L. Raiche, all of the French Department of the University. Candidates were allowed to make a five-minute speech on either side of the question at these first trials.

The Pasteur Medal is offered annually by Baron Pierre de Coubertin for the best speech in English upon some subject of contemporary. French politics. The arrangements for the contest are entirely in the hands of the French Department and the University Debating Council, under whose joint auspices the prize is placed before the University.

Plans for the final contest have been almost completed. It will be a formal affair, held in the Music Building, and presided over by Professor C. Cestre, University Exchange Professor from the Faculte des Letters at Bordeaux. At that time the six men selected last evening will each be given 12 minutes to speak on either side of the question. The judges, who will probably be taken from the French and Economics Departments of the University, will be announced later.