LORD BLAMED DUAL CONTROL

RUSSIAN TROUBLES DUE TO NEW EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, HE STATED.

Dr. R H. Lord '06, the University War Lecturer last evening, introduced his description of the Russia of today by a brief history of the events that have led to the present upheaval. The beginning of the trouble, he stated, dates back to 1861, when the freeing of the serfs opened a path for them into politics. Then the events of the early '90s gave Russia a large and important mass of middle-classmen who were anxious for political power. A gospel of discontent and protest was preached unceasingly and the tendency of Russia was to stretch everything beyond the proper limits.

"Economic, political, and intellectual developments combined to make the old regime impossible," Dr. Lord said "but the autocrats in power, or rather the bureaucrats around them, refused to make any concessions to the lower classes. When the revolution did come, however, the government collapsed in a most shameful way. It was obnoxious to the whole country and in spite of the awful conditions at present, practically no one is willing to have the autocracy again.

"The struggle today is between the radical Bolsheviki and the more moderate socialist Democrats. The former have always wanted the Russian army to lay down their arms and go home, thereby setting an example which they believe other armies would certainly follow. The socialist Democrats held this same view at first, but they are sure now that the end of hostilities can come only with Germany's downfall.

"Documents captured recently show that the Bolsheviki are not mainly Russian idealists, but German propagandists. The socialist Democrats are undoubtedly sincere.

"Recent troubles are due very largely to the All-Russian Executive Committee, which was appointed by a huge Congress of restless soldiers and laborers. More or less deliberately this Committee has usurped many powers that belong only to the central government, such as the issuing of 'ukases', and a most harmful attempt at democratizing the army. Thus the responsibility rests on the central government, while a great part of the power is in the hands of the Committee. This dualism has paralyzed the central power, and made the situation almost hopeless. However, I believe that Russia's reserve of patriotism will cause a healthy reaction, and although the end may be far off, she will eventually return to a moderate, democratic government.