CRIMSON FRESHMEN END LONG SUCCESSFUL SEASON

Defeated Worcester, Andover and Tiger Yearlings, and Played Tie With Exeter.

The 1921 football team began its preparation for today's encounter soon after the opening of College, under the direction of Head Coach D. J. Wallace '16, centre on the 1915 University eleven, assisted by W. B. Snow '18, the only University player then in College, and by V. F. Likins '18, of last year's University squad. For the first ten days the squad was put through thorough drills on the fundamentals, and it was not until October 4 that an attempt was made to form an eleven. At that time 1921 and the informals were unable to score in a fortyminute scrimmage.

On October 7, a practice game was arranged for the Freshmen against the Radio School, which the Freshmen won 6 to 0, but the team-play was disappointing, showing that the squad was not equal to the previous Freshman team on either the offence or defence.

On the next Saturday the Freshmen opened their regular schedule against Andover at Soldiers Field. A small score, 16 to 0, resulted, but the team showed much more power. By that time the makeup of the first eleven had been determined nearly as it is today, with the exception of quarterback, at which R. Jenney held preference over T. C. Wales. Right end and right halfback were also unsettled.

Before its next game with Worcester Academy two weeks later, the squad elected H. H. Faxon of Quincy as captain. Faxon from the first scrimmage had appeared to the coaches as a strong and fast line player, with ability in both drop and place kicking. In the light, inexperienced Worcester eleven, the Freshman team met no opposition. A 53 to 7 score for 1921 was the final result, the Academy making their points against the Freshman substitutes. The first eleven displayed a varied attack and made long gains on forward passes.

The first check on the success of the Freshman team came in the Exeter game. Yale 1921 and the Princeton yearlings had defeated the school eleven by decisive scores so that an opportunity to compare the teams which were to meet in the triangular series, now ending for the University Freshmen, was offered. In the first half at Exeter, 1921 played a fast game, scoring a touchdown and apparently having the game won. The Freshmen went to pieces, however, toward the close of the game, were unable to stop the Exeter attack, and had difficulty in holding the final score of the game to a 7 to 7 tie.

With the Princeton game coming the following Saturday, Coach Wallace drove the men hard for several days. Permanent shifts were made in several positions of the line to make better use of the first-string material, and as a result the team came through with a 24 to 0 victory.

The past week has been spent in long drills to insure the smooth play of the team today. Light scrimmages with the informals and the Navy Yard have also been held that the new coaches, including L. H. Leary '05, M. J. Logan '15, K. B. G. Parson '16 and F. J. Bradlee '15 might see the team in action to find its weak points.