MUCH AGGRESSIVENESS IN YALE FRESHMEN'S ATTACK

Defeated Andover and Exeter, and Tied Pennsylvania in Hard Fought Games.

The Yale Freshman football team has been developed under unusual conditions this season. Because of the amount of time spent in military and naval courses which each player is required to take in order to be eligible for the team, only two whole afternoons each week have been given to the coaches.

At the start of the season T. A. D. Jones, former Yale football star, had a large squad, light in weight, but containing several well known preparatory school players. Acosta of Lawrenceville showed from the first his remarkable ability at centre and was elected captain of the eleven.

The uncertainty of collegiate football prevented the making of a long schedule so that it was not until the middle of October that any formal games were played.

In a game with Exeter in the Bowl, the Yale freshman R. O. T. C. team, as they are officially designated, surprised their followers by defeating the Academy eleven 20 to 0. The freshmen displayed a good defence, with an erratic offence. As a unit the team exhibited much power. . The line, although weak in several positions, held their opponents' attack, while the backfield proved to be a fast and aggressive aggregation. Fumbling, however, marred the team's play. Lay and French in the backfield and Welsh and Acosta in the centre of the line were the mainstays of the Blue eleven.

The next contest was with the Pennsylvania freshmen. The Yale eleven outplayed their visitors throughout the game but were unable to prevent them from scoring when in the second half Pennsylvania launched a series of brilliant open plays. French was the star of the game, outpunting the opposing backs and making long gains. The last game of the preliminary season was against Andover. A 41 to 0 defeat for the school team showed the calibre of the Yale eleven.

In the middle of the season Coach Jones left the team for war work and the task of directing the freshmen fell upon Dr. A. E. Brides.

Since the Andover game the Yale eleven has had light work except for a long scrimmage with the Yale informals. Today the team will use the unbalanced line in common with the 1921 line and will probably advance an attack in which typical University plays have a large share.