SERVICE TEAMS IN STADIUM

NAVY YARD WILL PLAY MARINES AND NEWPORT ELEVEN IN DECEMBER.

Although the football season for the University Freshmen and the informals is completed, the Stadium will be the seat of two important encounters between service teams on the first two Saturdays of next month. The Navy Yard will take part in both games, meeting the Marines from Philadelphia December 1, and the Newport Naval Reserves the following week.

The first mentioned game will create much interest in the University, as the soldiers are led by E. W. Mahan '16, captain of the University eleven in 1915. Mahan, however, has been out of the game the greater part of the fall from the recurrence of a former injury. He is by far the strongest player on the Philadelphia team. In most of its games with service teams in New Jersey and Pennsylvania the Marines have been defeated, although with several weeks more of practice Mahan may be able to bring a well-developed eleven to Cambridge.

When the Newport Reserves play in the Stadium the eighth, the University will have an opportunity to see in action the strong eleven which defeated the informals 14 to 0 last Saturday. Undoubtedly this game will be the stellar attraction of service football in New England this season. The overwhelming defeat of the Haughton-coached Camp Devens eleven by the Navy Yard representatives and the victories of the Newport sailors over college teams have led football enthusiasts to demand that these teams meet to settle the naval supremacy of the Northeast.

Both elevens are among the most powerful aggregations ever collected. At Newport the names in the squad contain almost an All-American lineup. Black and Callahan of Yale, Paisley of Michigan, and the star Syracuse guard, Schlacter, are in the line. The work of the last-named player was the outstanding feature of the informal-Naval Reserve game. In the backfield, Gerrish from Dartmouth, Barrett, star punter and fast running Cornellian; Hite of Kentucky and Gardiner from the Middle West from an exceptional quartet.

The Navy Yard, however, has an equally notable list of players in its squad. C. A. Clark, Jr., '19, Algar and Adams of Tufts and Skilton of the B. A. A. are heavy and fast playing linemen. It is in the backfield that the Navy has its greatest strength. E. L. Casey '19, T. H. Enwright '18 and Cannell of Dartmouth, all star players on former University squads, are a trio of backs who have broken up the defence of every team which they have so far encountered. W. J. Murray '18 directs the play. L. H. Leary '05 has been coaching the team regularly for several weeks.