HOCKEY

Now that the Randolph Squash Courts and pool have been made into a second-class gymnasium, and the informal eleven has finished its season, we are interested to know what athletics will be carried on this winter. Hockey, subject to the wave of informalism, may be a winter sport as usual. This project is to be discussed tonight by the Athletic Committee to determine whether or not we shall be represented on the ice.

Many men have been dependent on hockey for their exercise during the winter. Unless a team is formed, however, it is not very likely that they will play, certainly not to the extent they would if a seven existed. The fact that there is a team to try for, induces many men to come out, and stay out, even though unsuccessful at first. Such students will miss the incentive that any sort of University team would be.

While we are heartily in accord with the modification of athletics during the war, we oppose any abolition of them. During the winter, few teams exist. Those that do cannot be eliminated without a great loss to the student body, both in physical training and in recreation. An informal seven, like the recent eleven, will furnish health as well as pleasure to many undergraduates.