LOWES TO JOIN ENGLISH STAFF

DEAN OF WASHINGTON WILL FILL PLACE LEFT BY PROF. NEILSON.

John Livingston Lowes, professor of English and dean of the College of Washington University, St. Louis, has been appointed Professor of English at the University. His appointment is made to fill the professorship left vacant by the election of Professor Neilson to the presidency of Smith College.

Professor Lowes was born in Decatur, Ind., December 20, 1867, and received his A.B. degree from Washington and Jefferson College in 1888. He studied abroad for several years and was granted the degree of A.M. by the University in 1903 and of Ph.D. in 1905. He has been professor of English at Hanover College and at Swarthmore College and comes hero from Washington University where he has been professor of English since 1909 and dean of the college since 1913.

He is a member of the Modern Language Association of Great Britain, American Folk-Lore Society and of many clubs in St. Louis. He is also a member of the Harvard Club of Boston. He is editor of Synonyms in the New International Dictionary, in association with Professor G. L. Kittredge '82. He has also edited a number of Shakespeare's plays and been a frequent contributor to American and foreign philosophical and literary journals.