87 COLLEGES NOW IN UNION

SUCCESS ATTENDS OPENING OF PARIS UNIVERSITY CLUB.

In a letter received from George H. Nettleton. Secretary of the American University Union in Europe, word has come that within three weeks of the opening, men from 84 different American colleges have registered at the Union. The quarters secured at the Royal Palace Hotel are already over-crowded and additional lodgings are being provided elsewhere at an adjacent hotel. The central location and excellent facilities offered have already proved very attractive to college men in active service when on furlough in Paris or passing through the city.

A reception was given on November 6 at which the patronesses were Mrs. William G. Sharp, Mrs. James R. Barbour, Mrs. Robert W. Bliss, Mrs. Persifor F. Gibson, Mrs. James H. Hyde, Mrs. Lawrence Slade and Mrs. Edward Tuck. The reception marked the formal ceremonies of opening the Union, although it had been in working order since October 20.

Many additional American colleges have recently taken out membership in the Union so that today 87 colleges and universities are working together in this attempt to provide a home with the privileges and conveniences of a simple club for American college men and their friends who are serving their country "over there."

At a recent meeting of the Board of Trustees, Harold H. Swift of Chicago, a graduate of the University of Chicago, and Samuel F. Houston of Philadelphia, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, were elected to the Board of Trustees on which there are already representatives of the University, Princeton, University of Michigan, Yale, Amherst, University of North Carolina, Johns Hopkins, the University of the State of New York, the Red Cross and the Y. M. C. A. The staff in Paris is shortly to be increased by Professor Alderfer of Oberlin College.