CONTINUE TRACK DESPITE WAR

WINTER SEASON WILL BE STARTED NEXT WEEK WHEN MEN REPORT.

The winter track season for 1917-18 will start on Monday afternoon when both informal and Freshman candidates are expected to report at Soldiers Field. Since there has been no organized track work this fall as in previous years, this will be the first opportunity for all but cross-country men to practice under the direction of the coaching staff. Both Coach Donovan and Coach Farrell will be present every day from 2.30 to 5 o'clock in order to give individual attention to all men who report. In accordance with the ruling of the Athletic Committee, all teams will be informal.

The board track which is used every winter will be laid between the Locker Building and the cinder straightaway before the end of the week, so that work can progress upon the boards in spite of snow or frozen ground. The baseball cage will be heated and lighted for the field event men, including jumpers, vaulters and weight-throwers. A large number of candidates for this department are needed, since it is usually the weakest in the University team.

As in the case of cross-country this fall, there will be a Freshman relay team if enough materials is found to warrant it. A schedule of races can be arranged with preparatory school and freshman aggregations, winding up with a contest against Yale 1921.

Although the small number of upper-classmen back may preclude the possibility of inter-class races, there will probably be a winter carnival as usual in February. Competitions and time-trials for all the candidates will be started after Christmas, coming to a climax in the three-day carnival in which both championship and novice events are held.