JERUSALEM

British forces have captured Jerusalem from the Turks. Ever since war started in this region all Christianity has been hoping for the reconquest of the Holy Land. Military value is important to be sure, but is insignificant to the historical and religious interest. Mohammedans have held this city for over twelve centuries, although their away was twice broken for short periods. Now the Christian troops seem to be making a more permanent acquisition, as they drive the Turks before them. The English have succeeded in accomplishing what was hoped for, and attempted during many years.

That the Holy City will become the permanent property of Christiandom is more than a likelihood. The British campaigns against the Moslems have so far been successful, even though sometimes delayed. The power of the Turk has been weakening in the last half century, and does not seem to be recovering. So long as English progress continues, while the Mohammedans weaken, the lasting possession of Jerusalem seems assured. Unlike many places captured in war, this has suffered no bombardment, much to the satisfaction of all who wish the preservation of the relies of the past. A field of historical research undamaged by shell-fire and mines has been opened up. Through an easy approach and a ready withdrawal it has been made possible to seize the Holy city in its integrity. Unlike Rheims and other centres of mediaeval Christianity, the very home of our religion has escaped destruction. Whether the refusal of the Turks to hold this place was due to military weakness or to respect for the city, the British have gained with facility what has long been fought for. As they have been successful against the Moslems in the last few campaigns, so they will be in keeping this new prize. The capture of Jerusalem is an incident of the drive on Turkey, but it is one of great interest and importance to all historians and Christians.