SENT MESSAGE TO UNIVERSITY

LETTER FROM SOUTH AMERICANS SHOWS APPRECIATION OF PATRIOTISM.

That South American students are interested in the University and America's fight for democracy is shown by the following letter addressed to C. L. Chandler '05, curator of South American History and Literature in the College Library. In October this letter was presented to Mr. Chandler by a large delegation representing the law students of the University of Buenos Aires. It is a message of appreciation of the patriotism being shown by so many University men in the European war.

A translation of the letter was last night given to the CRIMSON for publication: Buenos Aires,   Oct. 20, 1917.

Mr. Charles Lyon Chandler,

Vice President of the American International Association, Director of the Spanish-American Section of the Library of Harvard University.

Distinguished Sir:

The students of the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences, who compose a committee which is endeavoring to bring about the breaking off of relations with the German Empire, greet you as an eminent citizen of the United States and the noble and loyal friend of Argentina, whose connection with your Fatherland you are intensifying for the most pure and disinterested reasons.

We have chosen you to interpret for us to Harvard University our ideals of American harmony, our fervent adherence to cause of right, which the American of today is endeavoring to infuse into international order, and our boundless admiration for the moral grandeur of the United States, which assures the coming of peace among nations.

Please tell the students of Harvard University that President Wilson's words have struck the profoundly responsive chord in the hearts in the Argentines, showing thus that continental solidarity, as a means of fulfilling a high civilizing mission, is based on the common history of the struggles for freedom and democracy.   (Signed),   HECTOR DIAZ LEGUIZAMON,   President.   MARIANO J. DRAGO,   Vice President.