RED CROSS CEMENTING ALLIES

ITS INFLUENCE WILL BE GREAT IN FORMING LASTING PEACE.

"The Red Cross is acting as a war-winner and a peace-stayer," said Henry P. Davison, chairman of the War Council of the American Red Cross to a CRIMSON representative during his recent visit to Boston. "The work of the Red Cross in France today not only serves to strengthen and support the armies and to keep up the health and morale of the young and old behind the lines, but it is also laying a strong foundation upon which to build a satisfactory and lasting peace after the conclusion of the war. It is helping our men now, and helping to spare them later.

"Almost everyone knows of the marvelous work which the Red Cross is doing in comforting the soldiers in the trenches and in the rest camps behind the battle front, of the indispensable aid it has brought to the hospitals, and of the tremendous good it has done to the needy children and old people; but few appreciate the indirect effect which all this work will bring about. We are giving a demonstration to the people of our allies that we are really in this war. We are showing them that we are not the 'land of the dollar,' but a land of honor, justice and mercy.

Must Have Enduring Peace.

"Granted that we will win the war. But after the war we must make a peace which will not be repugnant to the aims we have fought for. As allies, we must hang together in peace and in war. We can hardly imagine the disastrous results if we make a peace which would fall through, and then have to fight a whole war over again. Besides directly saving lives and shortening the war, the Red Cross is forming relations with the European people and definitely forming the character of the peace and showing what American ideals are.

Red Cross is Cement of Friendship.

"The United States will be the key-stone in the arch of peace. If this arch is not firmly put together it cannot endure. But if it is formed with the social cement of friendship and similarity it will endure and we will have lasting peace. This is the great work which the Red Cross has done and is doing in France and England. It is showing our allies that we feel as they feel, and it is laying the foundations for an enduring peace."