INFORMALS START WORK

LIGHT WORKOUT FOR 1921

Thirty-five candidates reported for the first informal hockey practice held in the Boston Arena yesterday afternoon. R. E. Gross '19, coach of the Freshmen, took charge of practice. During the first part of the period the men skated around the rink to accustom themselves to the artificial surface. Actual practice began when Gross chose four sets of forward lines and sent them down the ice against varied defence combinations. Emphasis was laid on accuracy and sureness rather than on speed, the men being coached to play slowly and carefully and to remain in their positions. After this the defencemen were given the puck and made several attempts to score against different goal guards.

Before the end of practice, a scrimmage of about 20 minutes' duration was held, in which every candidate played. The work of both the forward lines and the defence trios was unusually good for the first day, but there was a tendency on the part of the whole squad to play recklessly. A large number of goals were scored.

Freshman Practice Light.

Owing to the fact that most of the Freshmen were drilling, 1921 practice amounted to comparatively little yesterday, and there was no scrimmage. The time was spent in short sprints across the rink and in shooting. Because of the afternoon drills, Freshman practice will be held every day this week at 2.15 o'clock. It is probable that the 1921 squad will practice in the Arena next Friday afternoon.