INTERCOLLEGIATE GRENADE THROWING

Colleges of the Western Conference will probably compete in grenade throwing at their track meets next year if the plan of the athletic directors is adopted. Any such combination of military training with field events deserves the approval of those who wish one to be universal and the other to be continued. By injecting the rivalry of intercollegiate competition into the work of the R. O. T. C. 's, not only will training be undertaken more enthusiastically and thoroughly, but also it will become more widespread. Every effort to turn sports to direct advantage in military preparation is to be encouraged, for then increased practice in necessary tasks of war accompanies better physical development. Many grenadiers in many universities can now be developed to a high point of efficiency through the adoption of this new plan. Let competitions of this sort not stop here, however, but include all others in which it is especially necessary for a soldier to be experienced. Wall-scaling, rescue races and bayonet contest should be held also. the spirit of track rivalry may well take on a more direct military value.