CANADIAN CONSCRIPTION

After more than three years of vigorous participation in the war, Canada has had to resort to conscription. That this should only now become necessary shows the generosity and enthusiasm of the Dominion's sacrifice in the European struggle. Inefficient and unreliable as the volunteer system is, it has produced a large army without much difficulty. New battalions have been formed, and old ones refilled, time and again, with men enlisting of their own accord, impelled by the moral obligation of patriotism and unselfishness. Unstintingly has Canada offered such soldiers as defeated the Hun at Vimy Ridge. Now, however, the spirit of the volunteer has been utilized to its capacity, and the draft is invoked to play its part.

This action on the part of Canada is strong proof that we were wise to push through our conscription measure last spring. Volunteer methods might have served us for a time, but they are not dependable or of permanent value. We gave our Government a great source of power when we allowed it to select all men necessary for service. But it will take power to win this war, and it is well that we did not play with a scheme which was sure to become ineffectual.