FOOTBALLS ABROAD

Five hundred footballs have just been sent abroad by the Athletic Association for our troops when resting from military work. The English soldiers have been known to go into action kicking a soccer ball; Pershing may now desire to follow their example. The lieutenants may soon be equipped with footballs and in true Mahan style rush over the top, followed by their platoons. War is a constantly changing game and such a formation might terrorize the most terrible Touton. A little scrimmage in No Man's Land between barrages would also serve as a diversion to the worn-out doughboy.

The idea of physical development for our men in Europe is indeed a worthy one and cannot be overdone. It is a common fallacy that the minute our soldiers reach France they settle down to a life of charging Germans, dodging shells, and eating Y. M. C. A. food. The truth is that the American soldier is off-duty more than on, and decent recreation is essential. Sending extra footballs for the athletic man is a much better Christmas present than a few pounds of chewing gum or similar trench luxuries. Such human gifts are always more appreciated than useless luxuries from a loving family.