The Red Cross at Halifax.

COMMENT

Nothing has so vividly brought home to the people of New England the value of the American Red Cross as the manner in which it was able to respond to the call for help from Halifax.

In less than five hours after news of the disaster reached Boston the New England division of the American Red Cross had a relief outfit in readiness for the special train which Governor McCall had ordered to be sent to Halifax. The outfit included sweaters, medical and hospital supplies, nurses and a committee to begin the work of civilian relief in the stricken city.

Then another relief train was quickly outfitted and sent off the next day with 25 doctors, 65 nurses and a complete 500-bed base hospital outfit. In less than two days after the arrival of this relief train in Halifax a wrecked college had been restored, equipped and put into service as a hospital.

Of course this is very little compared with the great work of relief carried on by the Red Cross in hospitals and battlefields, and among the civilian population in war-ridden France and Serbia and Italy and Roumania. However, it brings a thrill of pride to Americans and emphasizes the fact that the present drive for new members is simply another means afforded the people to aid this great cause. --Boston Herald.