HOCKEY TO START THIS WEEK

FRESHMAN MANAGERS TO REPORT THURSDAY.--GROSS NAMED AS COACH.

Players and managers for the 1921 hockey team will be called out some time this week. It is possible that candidates for the informal seven may also report, but it is still uncertain.

R. E. Gross '19, who was a wing on his Freshman team and a substitute on the 1916-17. University squad, will act as coach for the Freshmen, during the first few days of practice at least. However, he is eligible for upperclass hockey, and every effort is being made to obtain as coach a graduate or some other suitable man who would not be eligible for undergraduate athletics.

The Charlesbank rink, situated near the northwestern corner of Soldiers Field, which was used by 1920 last winter, will be reserved again for the Freshman team. Several informal candidates used this rink during the cold snap last week, and while the severe weather lasted the ice was remarkably good.

Work has begun on another rink nearby. The condition of the ground makes progress exceedingly slow, but when the rink is ready it will be reserved mainly for scrub games and the Leiter Cup series, but it will also be used as a reserve surface for the University players.

Two more games have been added to the Freshman schedule, subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee: one with Newton High School on January 23, and one with Rindge Technical High School on February 6. The present schedule includes seven games, five in Cambridge and two away. Negotiations are under way for two more, which will be announced as soon as they are definitely arranged.

1921 Managers Called Out Thursday.

Freshman managers will probably be called out on Thursday, and the players soon afterward. The managerial competition will be comparatively short, ending about February 15. There are five places to be filled, those of manager and assistant manager of the Freshman team, and the managership of the three dormitory sevens. Exact details will be given at the first candidates' meeting. No previous experience is necessary.

The Boston Amateur Hockey League will meet tomorrow and at this meeting the policy of the League this year will be decided upon. The Arena itself opens on Saturday, December 8