TRACK SEASON BEGINS

TO FORM 1921 RELAY TEAM

Training for the University and Freshman track men for the winter season will commence on the cinder track and in the baseball cage this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock. All candidates will report at the Locker Building from 2.30 until 5 o'clock. The runners will be given an easy outside workout on Soldiers Field, while the weight and field-event men will have their initial practice in the cage, followed probably by a jog to limber them up.

As soon as the 130-yard board track is laid, which will probably be about the end of this week, daily practice for the different events at regular hours will be started, and will continue during the three weeks yet remaining before the Christmas vacation.

When practice starts again in January, a series of time trials for the various races and of competitions in the high jump, broad jump, shot put and pole vault will be held for both Freshmen and University athletes. Last year the individual scores in each of these competitions were kept throughout the season, and prizes were awarded the most consistent winners in the various events.

In accordance with the University's policy of Freshman athletics as usual, there will be a 1921 relay team this year if enough Freshman runners report. The Yale athletic authorities have signified their intention of having a team also, and although nothing has been decided as yet, the two teams will probably meet during the first week in February as in previous years. Last year the 1920 relay runners also raced Technology 1920 a week before the Yale race, and a similar contest may be scheduled for this year.

During the 1916-17 season an innovation in winter track was introduced when 1920 met Worcester in a dual indoor meet, for in previous years no Freshmen except relay runners had any opportunity for outside competition. It is quite likely that in view of the fact that Freshman track will be the only official branch of the sport this winter, more meets of the same kind will be arranged. At any rate, the annual winter carnival, held in the last week of February, will offer competition to both Freshman and University candidates in all the winter events, including the 40-yard dash, 300-yard dash, 600-yard run, 1,000-yard and mile races, in addition to the broad and high jumps, pole vault, shot put and 35-pound weight throw.

The B. A. A. Indoor Meet will be held as usual this year in the first week of February, although it will probably be more of a naval and military affair than an intercollegiate one. This contest will provide the goal for all University candidates in their practice this winter, even if an informal team is not entered, individual men will undoubtedly take part