NAVY ELEVEN VICTORIOUS

TOUCHDOWN BY CANNELL

Although the Navy Yard made seven runs of more than 25 yards and had ten first downs, while the Marines did not once gain the distance by rushing, the sailors were barely able to win-by a 7-to-0 score against the stiff defence of the League Island eleven, led by E. W. Mahan '16, on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. The condition of the Stadium necessitated the transfer of the contest to the Freshman Field, where a large crowd, including many sailors and Marines, witnessed the contest.

At the outset of the game the sailors seemed decidedly superior to the Marines. With the ball on their 27-yard line after a long punt by Mahan, a pretty forward pass from W. J. Murray '18 to E. L. Casey '19 netted 40 yards, and this with line plunges by Lowney of Colby, T. H. Enwright '18 and Casey, and an eight-yard forward pass, left the ball on the Marines' two-yard line, where the sailors lost it on downs. After Enwright had run back Mahan's punt 27 yards, the second attack ended in a try at a goal from the field by Murray.

The opportunity for the only score came when Lowney intercepted Mahan's pass on the latter's 24-yard line. Enwright, Murray and Cannell drove through guard and tackle and at the start of the second period Cannell scored the winning touchdown on a two-yard plunge through right tackle. Murray kicked the goal.

An intercepted pass and the recovery of a sailor fumble by Mahan prevented further scoring in the first half, in spite of long runs by Casey and Cannell. Mahan, after displaying a varied forward passing attack, failed to score a field goal from the 40-yard line.

Seven University players participated in the game; for the Navy Yard, E. L. Casey '19, C. A. Clark, Jr., '19, T. H. Enwright '18, A. Horween '20, W. J. Murray '18, T. S. Woods '20, while E. W. Mahan '16, captain of the 1916 University eleven, was fullback on the Marine eleven.