THE NATION CALLS FOR ACTION

Harvard men have not yet proved that the red blood of the heroes of 1861 and 1898 still runs in the veins of the present generation. Statesmen, generals, prominent graduates and undergraduates, and finally President Lowell have all explained the seriousness of the national situation, defined the duty of young men, and shown the most patriotic method of fulfilling this duty.

We have had enough parades; we have had enough mass meetings, lectures and exhortations. We have talked enough. We have hesitated and delayed too long. Action, and action alone, can be tolerated now. Only 600 men in Harvard University have thus far roused themselves from their comfortable state of lethargy and responded to the first patriotic call of their lifetime.

Will it take the very rumble of the enemy's guns to convince them? The more privileged youth of our colleges are supposed to foresee dangers and prepare for them, but we in the crisis are disgracefully failing to justify our advantages.

Those who have enlisted in the unit have done all they can do now. What about those who have delayed? Ordinary peace-time excuses are no longer excuses. They are merely evidences of despicable indifference to the highest duties that American citizens ought to be proud of fulfilling. The need of the hour is for action, action, action!