MANY CHANGES IN COURSES SCHEDULED FOR NEXT YEAR

Leaves of Absence, Retirements and Deaths Cause Differences in Curriculum.

The provisional announcement of the courses of instruction offered by the Faculty of Arts, and Sciences for 1917-18 has recently been published. Changes in the Department of Classics have been made on account of the death of Professor C. P. Parker, in the Department of Psychology on account of the death of Professor Hugo Muensterberg; leaves of absences granted to Professor F. W. Taussig '79 and Professor W. B. Munro '99 have necessitated changes in courses ordinarily given by them, and the retirement of Professor Barrett Wendell '77 has caused shifts in the English Department. The more important changes follow, but these are not final:

Changes in Group I.

In Group I Latin B will be given by Professors A. A. Howard and E. K. Rand; Latin 7 will be given by Professor E. K. Rand; Classical Philology 26, 31, 33, 47, 57, 66, 70, and 74 will be omitted and 23, 24, 34, 43, 59, and 61 will be added; English 31 will be given by Professor Hurlburt, who will also lecture in English 28 in place of Professor Bliss Perry, who will give English 41, formerly given by Professor Wendell; English 35b, the English Bible, will be given as a full course; English 23 hf., Shakespeare, will be given by Professor Neilson; English 64 hf., Pope and his Time, will be given by Professor Hurlburt; English 33, American Literature, will be given by Professor Greenough, and will be open to undergraduates; German 25 hf., History of German Literature in Outline, will be given by Professor Francke; German 28, Goethe's Italianische Reise, will be open to undergraduates; French 11 hf., the History of the Tale and the Novel in France from the 15th to the 19th Century, will be a new course; French 15 hf., Pascal and Port Royal, will be a new course; French 17, Literary Criticism in France, will be made a full course and closed to undergraduates; Comparative Literature 1, European Literature, formerly given by Professor Wendell, will be withdrawn; Comparative Literature 11, the Romantic Movement in the 19th Century, will be made a full course; Comparative Literature 12 hf., the Types of Fiction in the 18th and 19th Centuries, will be given as a half-course; Fine Arts 5m hf., Durer, Holbein and Cranach, will be a new course; Fine Arts 5n hf., Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Raphael, will be a new course; Fine Arts 5p hf., Florentine Engraving, will be a new course; Music 2b hf., Model Counterpoint, will be a new course, given by Mr. Wallace Goodrich.

Changes in Group II.

In Group II: Engineering Sciences 5a hf., Mechanics, will be given by Associate Professor Huntington; Chemistry 8 hf., Elementary Theoretical and Physical Chemistry, will be given by Professor Richards and Assistant Professor G. S. Forbes; Geology 10, Ore Deposits--Origin and Occurence, will have special lectures by Professor Lindgren of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Geology of Non-Metalliferous Substances, will be divided into two half-courses: Geology 11, Microscopical Investigation of Ores, will be a new course.

Changes in Group III.

In Group III: History 2, European History from the Close of the Middle Ages to the Outbreak of the French Revolution, has been divided into two half-courses; History 2a h., will be given by Assistant Professor Merriman and History 2b hf., by Mr. Laski: History 12a h., The History of England from 1688 to 1783, will be given by Assistant Professor Johnstone; History 12b hf., The History of England from 1783 to the Present time, will be given by Mr. Laski; History 61 hf., Latin-American Trade Problems, will be a new course; History of Religions 4 hf., Judaism at the Beginning of the Christian Era, will be a new course; Government 1 will be given in the second half-year by Assistant Professor Holcombe; Government 18 hf., State and City Government in Massachusetts, will be withdrawn; Government 24, Comparative Adminisration -- France, Prussia, Italy, Belgium, will be a new course, given by Professor Dupriez of the University of Louvain; Economics A will be given by Assistant Professor Day. It has not yet been announced who will take Professor Taussig's courses, 7a hf., Economic Theory 11, Economic Theory and 33 hf., International Trade and Tariff Problems. Economics 17 hf., Economic Theory: Value and Related Problems, will be made a half-course.

Changes in Group IV.

In Group IV: Philosophy 1 hf., General Problems of Philosophy, will be given the first half-year; Philosophy 2 hf., Introduction to Philosophy through the Problems of Conduct and Religion, will be given the second half-year; Philosophy 4, Ethics, will be made a half-course, and will be given by Professor R. B. Perry; Philosophy 5 hf., Philosophy of the State, will be a new course given by Professor Hocking; Philosophy 6, Philosophy of Religion, will be divided into two half-courses. No instructor has yet been announced for Psychology A. Psychology 10a, Experimental Human Psychology, will be given by Assistant Professor Langfeld. Changes have been made in the instructors and the examination groups of a large number of courses in the Mathematics Department for next year.

Students planning to take courses in this department should consult the official announcement.

On account of the strained condition of foreign affairs the provisional announcement made by the department of Military Science and Tactics has been cancelled. This department has turned its attention entirely to the organization of the Reserve Officers Training Unit, as described in the CRIMSON of February 14, 1917