THE CRIMSON DECLARES WAR?

In today's communication column appears a detailed and lively outburst against the vacillating and Prussian policy of the CRIMSON. Some of our more gullible readers may readily infer from this article that the CRIMSON is an instrument of the Nation's great munition concerns who are supposed to desire the most terrible of wars. It may be the case that one or two of the writer's accusations can be regarded seriously. He complains that we have declared war already by taking the Harvard Union for American Neutrality to task. War has not been declared against Germany, but against any individual or group who regard the present a time to think and debate in seclusion instead of bending every energy toward active preparedness. The Harvard Union for American Neutrality should have been formed months ago, and then it might have arrived at a course of action before the time for deliberation had passed. What little influence it has had or will have among Harvard men during this critical period when there should be no discordant note of hesitancy is harmful and intolerable. For this reason alone the CRIMSON disagrees with and denounces the spirit of this organization which hinders steps toward immediate national preparedness, the delay of which may mean ruin and dishonor.

The CRIMSON is criticized for "not doing its own thinking" and for being overcome by "tinsel and braggadocio." During the past two years we have not been blind to the events which have occurred outside of the sanctum, nor have we been deaf to the plentiful advice from both camps in this country. We have considered carefully the many questions leading up to the present issue, and have taken a clearly defined stand. Whether our position is the right one cannot be decided by any contemporary tribunal, but the accusation that this stand was taken unthinkingly and by the direction of others has no support. That the CRIMSON welcomes frank and intelligent discussion among its readers is evidenced by the widely divergent views expressed in the communications during the past month. The editorial columns are at all times open for the unrestricted expression of the views of members of the University, but the CRIMSON has sufficient respect for itself as a publication to feel free to take a stand on the important question of national preparedness and to use all legitimate means to support its position.

Breaking News