NAVAL RESERVES TO START ACTIVE TRAINING FEB. 19

CRUISE THIS SUMMER

Classes of instruction, as outlined below, for those contemplating enrolling for the proposed camps and cruise for civilians or in the Naval Coast Defence Reserve will be held on U. S. S. Virginia, Charlestown Navy Yard, Monday afternoons at 4.30 and monday evenings at 7 o'clock, beginning Monday, February 19. Owing to the regulations in force at the Navy Yard no one enrolled for these classes will be admitted through the gate after 4.20 in the afternoon and 6.50 in the evening.

Those eligible for these classes are first, men who have actually enrolled through the Naval Recruiting Office, and second, men not so enrolled but who have registered at the office of the Naval Training Association, 42 Water street, Boston.

For the present men may attend these classes without enrolling for the Naval Coast Defence Reserve.

Subject: Course of drills and instructions for the Naval Training Association.

1. The following program will govern the drills and instructions of members who apply for training preliminary to the cruise next summer. This course may be taken by men who participated in the cruise last summer and those who are accepted for future cruises.

2. Drills and instructions will be grouped in the following general classes:

(a) Instruction in all that pertains to main and secondary batteries, including the service and operation of the guns; methods of controlling fire, spotting, plotting and communication system.

This class will also include instruction in ship's organization, based on the battle bill, and general instructions in the construction of men-of-war, including methods of protection both by armor and water-tight subdivisions, drainage, ventilating and fire main systems, and the numbering of compartments.

(b) This group will include instructions and drill in signals, radio, duties of quartermasters, including description and operation of gyro-compasses; instruction in nomenclature and use of service pistol, rifle, automatic guns and boat guns; instructions in position and aiming drills, infantry drills and artillery drills.

(c) Elementary navigation: this class will include only those who apply especialy for such a course. The instruction will cover generally those parts of the subject that will be useful for motorboat owners and others interested in the management of power boats employed with the patrol squadrons, such as pilot- ing, dead reckoning, chart reading, etc.

(d) Engineering: this class will include only those who apply especially for such a course. The course will cover generally: (1) the organization and administration of the engineer's force aboard ship; (2) general description marine main engines, their operation and maintenance; (3) boilers and fireroom fittings--operation, care and preservation, etc., including main and auxiliary feed systems; (4) auxiliaries--disposition operation and upkeep; (5) water-tight subdivisions, drainage system, etc.; (6) evaporators and distilling plant; (7) electric lighting and power plant.

3. These instructions and drills will be held Monday afternoon and evening of each week. The afternoon period will be from 4.30 to 6 and the evening period from 7 to 9. Arrangements will be made to provide a buffet supper in the junior officers' mess room for a small charge for those who attend both the afternoon and evening sessions. This supper will be provided by the ward room mess following the same scheme as in the case of the drills last spring.

4. Men taking this course of drill and instruction will be required to have the following articles of uniform: 1 watch cap, 2 white jumpers, 2 pairs white trousers, 1 jersey (regulation sweater), Those joining the engineering class must have in addition 2 suits of dungarees.

Arrangements will be made to issue at cost, such of the above articles as may be needed and also text books and other articles that may be required from the ship's store.  R. H. JACKSON, Captain, United States Navy, Commanding.

Naval Coast Defence Reserve, Class 4.

Citizens of the United States who are capable of performing special useful service in the Navy, or in connection with the Navy in defence of the coast, are eligible for membership in the Naval Coast Defence Reserve, United States Naval Reserve Force.

Men enrolling now in this reserve may serve immediately such part (not less than three weeks) of the required three months in four years if they wish; such men are likely to be assigned to duty on board U. S. S. Virginia or some other battleship in the Navy Yard, living on board and receiving the annual retainer fee of $12; a $30 allowance for clothing and the same pay as that provided for men in the Navy on active duty of corresponding rating.

In time of peace men shall be discharged upon their own requests or by proper authority. When on active service they may be discharged in accordance with Navy regulations.

Men desiring to attend the classes of instruction outlined above or wishing further information regarding the naval training for civilians or the various classes of the United States Naval Reserve Force will communicate promptly with E. M. Pickman, chairman Boston Enrolment Committee, 42 Water street, Boston