CAPT. BEITH IN UNION

OPEN TO UNIVERSITY

Captain Ian Hay Beith, the British soldier and author, will speak in the Living Room of the Union next Monday evening at 8 o'clock. This is his second visit to the University. Last December he spoke in Sanders Theatre and received such an enthusiastic reception that the Union management have arranged a second opportunity for members of the University to hear him speak. No definite subject has been given out but he will probably speak on some phase of England's share in the war and the responsibilities of this country in the present critical situation.

Captain Beith was just under the maximum age limit for enlistment at the out-break of the war and immediately enrolled in the South Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, which went into training at Aldershot in the fall of 1914. The regiment remained in training for six months and was finally sent to the front in the spring of 1915 as members of the first detachment of England's ability and courage won him a commission and he rose rapidly to the rank of captain.

During his stay in this country Captain Beith has spoken at many universities and colleges and several preparatory schools, both Yale and Princeton having received a visit from him during his present tour.

His book, "The First Hundred Thousand," written under the pen name of Ian Hay, is well known to everyone. It describes the experiences encountered by a volunteer at Aldershot and later somewhere in France. The meeting is open to all members of the University.