CREWS TO ROW ON LYNN HARBOR

First Two Boats Have Initial Practice on Salt Water Today.

Because of the 12 or 14 inch covering of ice which continues to shut the crews from the Charles, it was decided yesterday by Captain H. B. Cabot '17, Manager P. S. Howe '17, and Coach Haines to accept the invitation of the West Lynn Boat Club and, starting today, to send the first two University boats to Lynn harbor for practice until the river breaks up. This action was not taken until the 23d of March last year, but inasmuch as the Yale squad has been on the water since February 27, and as the Charles shows little promise of being free of ice for at least a week, it was deemed advisable to get the first shells out immediately.

The men of the first boat will make the trip in automobiles and the second will follow by train. Coach Haines and Second Assistant Manager A. F. Tribble '19 looked over the course yesterday and completed arrangements with the West Lynn Boat Club officials. Two shells and a coaching launch will be sent down this morning. While Haines is busy with the two University eights, Assistant Coach Brown will be in charge of the remaining crews.

Lynn harbor is a salt water inland bay with a six-mile straightaway ending at Revere Beach. Though rough at this time of the year this is the only available stretch of water now free from ice.