GREAT RELIEF WORK BEING CARRIED ON BY COLLEGES

Students Throughout America Organizing Aid for Ambulance Service on War Front.

Concurrent with the sailing for France of another Harvard section of the American Ambulance Corps comes the report that colleges throughout the country are manifesting an active interest in the work of the great war. Units are being organized for the American Ambulance Field Service, volunteers are being sent to do Y. M. C. A. work at the front, ambulances are being donated and funds raised for distribution in war-stricken Europe. These are only a few examples of the interest taken in the war by universities of America.

Last week a campaign was inaugurated at Cornell toward the organization of a section in the American Ambulance Field Service. It is planned to furnish equipment for the unit and support for men who will volunteer their services. The committee in charge has scheduled entertainments, motion pictures and lectures with a view to arousing interest among the students.

More advanced, perhaps, are the plans at Princeton, where 75 undergraduates and a number of faculty members have volunteered to go to England on the first of June to participate in the Y. M. C. A. work which is being carried on in the concentration camps of the British army. As it has previously been reported, 20 men will be selected from this number to carry on religious work in the British camps.

Brown to Send Five Cars.

From Providence, R. I., five more cars for the American Ambulance Service will soon be sent to New York for France, as the result of a campaign carried on at Brown University. Undergraduates have subscribed enough money for four cars and nearly $1,000 toward the fifth. Brown men will probably drive the ambulances, and several volunteers have already sailed for Bordeaux.

Another ambulance, bearing on its sides "Amherst" in large letters, has already sailed for France. It is a donation made by the alumni of Amherst College. Exactly 100 graduates contributed to a fund for the purchase of the car. An effort has been put forth to obtain a graduate of Amherst as driver.

At New Haven a Yale Belgium Relief Committee has recently been formed. Plans are under way for raising a fund to support the children of a town in Belgium. With this object in view, Henry H. Ketcham, captain of the Yale 1914 football team, laid the matter before a temporary committee of undergraduates and it was decided to endeavor to secure the promise of Yale students to support the four or five hundred children of some one Belgium town. When it is definitely settled what town it is to be, maps will be posted in Yale Station showing the exact location.

At Columbia also a campaign was organized for the purpose of raising money to be devoted to the relief of students confined in the prison camps of Europe. Already the sum of $1,500 has been collected.