UNIVERSITY HAS 474 IN WAR

MEMORIAL SOCIETY DATE GIVES TOTAL OF 186 TO AMERICAN AMBULANCE.

Figures which the Memorial Society is at present compiling show that 474 Harvard men have thus far taken an active part in the European war, either in actual service or in relief and miscellaneous work. These records include, besides men in the military, naval and aviation service, those who have engaged in the hospital and ambulance service and in relief work of all kinds. The American Ambulance tops the list with 186 men, with the Surgical Unit second with 95. Fifty-eight men have been serving in the British army, 17 in the French, and five in other armies.

A list of the different activities and the number of men who have taken part in them follows: American Ambulance,  186 Harvard Surgical Unit,  95 British army,  58 Miscellaneous work of all kinds,  46 French army,  17 Belgian Relief,  16 Miscellaneous medical work,  15 Morgan-Harjes Ambulance,  12 Serbian Relief,  10 Y. M. C. A. Hut Work,  8 French aviation,  6 Armies other than British and French,  5 Total,  474

Among the men classed under "miscellaneous work of all kinds" are included war correspondents with the various armies, members of the diplomatic service, workers for the relief of prisoners of war not included in the above list, and men who are in charge of various other war relief projects.

Precise Information Collected.

The purpose of the society is to obtain precise information concerning these men. It will include the dates of service, the official titles and connection with organized bodies, the character of the work performed and the promotions and distinctions which have been won. Use has of course been made of newspapers and other reports, but it is desired to verify and complete any such information by first-hand statements from the men themselves or from their families.

Letters are now being sent out in order to obtain this information. Besides asking for specific facts, these letters request detailed accounts of the men's experiences and of the work accomplished. This information together with any portraits of the men, original letters to friends, photographs illustrating their work, and whatever appears in print describing their experiences will be filed in permanent form or put in bound volumes and preserved in the Widener Library.

The committee on records of European service is in charge of obtaining this information for the Memorial Society. The members of this committee are N. C. Starr '17, C. L. Ward '17 and J. D. Parson '17

Precise Information Collected.