Facts About the Red Book.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In reply to the communication in Saturday's CRIMSON, I, as a member of last year's Red Book board, would like to say a few words. Those who wrote that letter did not realize that the Freshman Red Book is not an expense. Last year's Book cleared $908 over all costs! The cost of getting out the Book was about $3 a copy and only half of that sum was charged to the Freshmen for their copies. Granting that the cuts and printing do cost something, these items do not force the Freshmen to "spend any amount on a work valuable only to themselves."

This brings up another point. The Book is invaluable as a reference book, not only to Freshmen but to many others. It is also read by hundreds of parents who are then able to see their sons' classmates whom have been described or mentioned in letters sent home or in other ways. With a circulation of about 1,500 copies, fully one-half of which goes outside of the Freshman class, does it seem that the Red Book is "valuable" only to Freshmen? Then, too, is the average college student expected to give money for the various war reliefs? Is it not chiefly the older generation that can afford to and does supply most of the money for the war sufferers? Would it not seem a bit unusual if this so well established publication should be stopped at a time when this European conflict is probably in its last year? P. BATCHELDER '19.