EARLY EXAMINATIONS--WAR VOTE BY FACULTY

CREDIT FOR COURSES

At a meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences held yesterday afternoon the following resolution was drawn up and unanimously passed:

"1. That for students whose academic year is cut short by enlistment in the military or naval service of the United States, or of any state, the courses thus interrupted be credited as if they had been continued until the end of the year; and that instructors, after applying such tests as may seem to them expedient, return for such students grades representing their standing up to the time of their departure.

"2. That, if arrangements shall be made by which students may devote their full time to the work of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, special final examinations be provided for such students in advance of the regular final examination period.

"3. That for the benefit of the above-mentioned students Department and Division Committees be instructed to advance the dates of examinations for honors, distinction; and in the Division of History, Government and Economics for graduation; and for the degree of Ph.D.

"4. That for all other students instruction and examinations be conducted as usual."

This means, it was officially stated, that men called off for service shall be entitled to take at once--without waiting until the close of the year--a special examination, or such other test, formal or informal, as may be satisfactory to the instructor, and that the mark then reported by the instructor shall confer the same credit as if the course had been completed in June. All students expecting to leave College shortly for any such purpose are advised to notify the Recorder immediately.

In taking this action the University has put in definite form a statement that has been expected for some days. In accordance with their policies, the Faculty are making every effort consistent with the position of the University to place the full military and naval strength of the College at the disposal of the Government. Although no such decisive step has yet been made at Yale and Princeton, these universities are expected to take similar action in the near future.