NEW MEMORIAL ROOM OPENED

Phillips Brooks House Given Large Sum Towards Endowment Fund.

As a memorial to his mother, Louise E. Bettens, Edward Detraz Bettens '73 has recently taken over the room adjoining the Peabody Room on the the top floor of Phillips Brooks House and refitted it completely. The room will hereafter be used for small group meetings and for quiet reading. In addition, Mr. Bettens has donated the sum of $2,500 to the endowment fund of the Phillips Brooks House Association, and has made a gift of several valuable paintings to the Fogg Art Museum.

The Louise E. Bettens room has been decorated in blue, with harmonizing rugs and hangings, and has been furnished with a large central mahogany table and chairs to match. On the walls are portraits of members of the Bettens family. Part of the returns from the gift of money will be used to maintain the room.

Besides his gifts of the water color "Bridle Path Tahita," the work of John LaFarge, Whistler's "Sunday at Domberg" and the new Sargent painting entitled "Lake O'Hara," Mr. Bettens has donated to the Fogg Museum an unfinished picture by J. Singleton Copley, 1737-1815, R.A. It is entitled "Monmouth Before James II," and portrays the conspirator at the court of the king refusing to reveal the name of his accomplices.