WAR BRINGS NECESSITY OF FACING ECONOMIC PROBLEM

WHEAT BIG NECESSITY

Professor Thomas Nixon Carver, of the Economics Department in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday said that to make possible the enlistment of men in Government service, the United States must cut down on luxuries, and probably resort to female employment when possible. He also said that our greatest help to the Allies in the food problem would be to raise wheat which is their greatest need at present.

"In order to grow more of the necessities," Professor Carver said, "it will be necessary for more men to devote their energy to such production. The Government, however, will take many men for military purposes. To get extra laborers there are two possibilities: first, there must be greater utilization of women. For this, it would be necessary for those who are not now at work discharge their servants that they might be used for other purposes. The second possibility is in cutting down on luxuries. The men thus released could enlist or turn to more necessary production. Similar results would be obtained if we all wore our old clothes twice as long. The textile industry could then cut its labor in half.

"Unless we do draw labor from these sources, it will be futile to speak of increasing production and at the same time recruiting the army and the navy and the munitions factories.

"Any shortage in Germany's food supply is because the Germans have chosen to use their labor power for other purposes. If the Germans are starving, they are starving themselves.