Adventures of a Pacifist.

COMMENT

To the editor of the New York Times:

I have long been a member of a peace society. Last week I attended one of its meetings in New York. On coming out of the hall about 5 o'clock in the afternoon I stopped at the corner of the street put on my glasses, and took out my purse with the intention of buying an evening paper. Thereupon a sturdy fellow who was standing near twirling up his mustache struck me, first over the head with his stick, then in the face with his fist, smashing my glasses and causing the blood to flow freely from my nose. He then took possession of my purse and thrust it in his pocket, calling loudly for the police. An officer of the law happened to be near at hand. He drew near and addressed us in polished tones, somewhat as follows:

"This distressing quarrel must stop at once. It is annoying the bystanders--me especially. I am not interested to inquire into the causes of the affray. They may be obscure. You will see that it would be troublesome. Besides, you both agree that you are fighting for the same thing, a purse. My advice is that you stop at once before either one has suffered the humiliation of defeat. You will thus, quite naturally, form a warm and lasting friendship cemented in mutual confidence and esteem."

These lofty sentiments were greeted with hearty approbation by the bystanders, among whom I saw several of my associates in the peace society. These latter took no pains to conceal their chagrin at finding one of their associates brawling on the street. I was somewhat humiliated myself. And so, while my antagonist drove off in a taxicab, I made my way on foot to my hotel, where I secured a small loan, and so came home. My present purpose is to resign from the peace society and join some group of people interested in justice. S. Hughes.   Newport, R. I.