IAN HAY SPEAKS ON TACTICS

BRITISH CAPTAIN WILL LECTURE IN TREMONT TEMPLE AT 4.30 O'CLOCK.

Captain Ian Hay Beith, British soldier, author and lecturer, will speak on "Modern Battlefield Tactics" in Tremont Temple this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock under the auspices of the New England headquarters of the Military Training Camps Association. It will be open to the public and members of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps are especially requested to attend.

Captain Beith, or Ian Hay, as he is known to the literary world, has had an active and varied service in the European war, enlisting not long after the outbreak of the struggle and spending six months of the fall and winter of 1914-15 in training at Aldershot with the raw material from which Lord Kitchener formed the "first hundred thousand." His regiment, the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was among the first sent to the front, and with others composed the first army sent to France by England, known as "the first hundred thousand" and also "K 1" and "Kitchener's Mob." Captain Beith has had a brilliant record as a soldier and has been frequently mentioned in the army reports for gallantry under fire.

By his book, 'The First Hundred Thousand," Ian Hay is best known in this country, although he is rapidly acquiring a reputation as a forceful speaker and lecturer. In this widely read work he graphically pictured the conditions in England at the outbreak of the war, and told of the length of time required to train a body of volunteers to the efficiency necessary in modern warfare. He has been granted a furlough by the British War Office to lecture in this country on England's part in the war.