Lampy Rivals Vanity Fair

By Thacher NELSON .

The Lampoon comes out serene amidst alarms with a Vanity Fair number. Only by scattered references and the use of military terms in some of the passages which the reviewer is afraid to quote, do the punsters remind us of the military situation. It is just as well that, in these hideous times, we should be given something to take our minds off our studies. In fact, like the publication which it seeks to satirize, the present number of the Lampoon is calculated to take your mind off of anything. This is easy because it first convinces you that you have no mind at all.

The drawings of Mr. Lavalle are easily the leading features of the issue, and most of them are very creditable indeed. The reader is struck by the puns which stare at him from every corner of every page. Fortunately no intimation is given as to who is responsible for these.

Mr. Bacon and Mr. Rogers also deserve great credit for their work with pen and brush. The Lampoon has always had a high artistic standard. This reached the height of its glory in the Yale Game number for 1915, and the present board, if given time, could doubtless produce something to excel or even surpass that production.

The Lampoon has done well to mock a tendency which has become all too general in America. The America of the "parlor snake" is not true America, and Harvard men should be the first to prove this. True art and even true social standards as well as true hearts in the trenches must help us in the eyes of Europe.