Porto Rico and the War.

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The entry of the United States into the world-war and the quick response on the part of the gallant little republic of Cuba naturally places the people of Porto Rico in a difficult position. It is especially embarrassing for us Porto Rican students in this country, who are enjoying the hospitality of the American people and who cherish highly the personal friendships of its citizens, to have to lie idle while our classmates and friends are making war preparations. Our apparent indifference is so apt to be misunderstood and hastily labelled ungratefulness, especially as contrasted with the action taken by Cuba, that a few words of explanation may be pertinent.

American intervention in Cuba transformed a Spanish colony into an independent nation. American intervention in Porto Rico changed a Spanish colony into an American colony. The difference is too obvious to need further explanation, but if it should be urged that although the form of government is different, Porto Rico has enjoyed as great a degree of material prosperity under American domination, as Cuba, my answer would be that the descendants of Don Quixote think more highly of their honor than of their bodily comfort. For myself, I say that I prefer a thousand times self-support with all the troubles and vicissitudes which it entails to the shelter and comfort of the walls of Sing Sing. And to the Sanchos who would ridicule my typical Latin sentimentality, let the noble sentimentality of the Belgian people which saved the world from Prussian militarism be an answer.

That the Latin-American peoples are lovers of liberty their history shows. Bolivar, not content with liberating his own Venezuela, likewise liberated Colombia, Bolivia, Equador and Peru. More than one Porto Rican died in the Cuban "manigua" fighting for the liberties of the sister isle. And it is this very love of liberty, I honestly believe, that has caused friction and misunderstanding between the great republic of the North and the peoples south of the Rio Grande. They believe that the rights of Colombia, Santo Domingo, or Porto Rico, are every bit as sacred as the rights of Argentina, the United States, or Brazil. Internal disorder they may have had, but acts of aggression they have not committed.

Because of their ideals and because of their race, the Latin-American peoples are enthusiastic pro-Allies. When the United States refuses to fight for American capital in Mexico, but decides instead to fight for the principles of humanity and the rights of the small nations of Europe, the Latin-American peoples applaud enthusiastically. Such, they believe, is surely a determination worthy of the traditions of this country, and a policy in harmony with the ideals of all the people of America.

Porto Rico is keenly interested in the victory of the champions of humanity and in the vindication of the rights of the small nations of Europe, but Porto Rico is even more keenly interested in fighting for the liberties of the small countries of America than in fighting for the liberties of the small nations in Europe. The New World also must be made safe for democracy.  MANUEL MATIENZO uL.