Stuff and Nonsense.

Communications

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It is always a refreshing thing to hear a young critic express his criticism in a positive manner. There is entirely too much of the half-hearted, uncertain sort of judgment that says: "It seems to me," "I think," et cetera. Better far to show your colors and come boldly out with "It is," because everyone understands criticism as an expression of little more than personal opinion. The authority of it and the respect we give to it rests on the individual. Mr. Wright, then, who indeed does not hesitate to state his views with perfect assurance in his criticism of "Major Pendennis" (appearing yesterday in the CRIMSON) is to be congratulated. It is seldom that we find such a strong-minded young man.

Let us quote one passage, however, which, although splendidly positive and indicative of vigorous individual taste, might well be moderated. "Thackery as a personality and a social philosopher I cannot abide: his point of view being expressive of the mixture of ignorance, snobbery, humbug, and conceit, which has made the British Empire in more than one sense the wonder of the world."

I have no quarrel with Mr. Wright's withering and embracing method of condemning Thackery and the British Empire. I repeat, no quarrel with the method. But, since I have sung praise of positiveness in criticizing let me remark that such opinion, no matter how ably put, is nonsense. ALFRED PUTNAM '18.