FINE SHOWING BY UNIT

PLAN FOR NEW RECRUITS

The Reserve Officers Training Corps went through its first drill as a unit and its first regimental review on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon and showed by its excellent appearance and well executed manoeuvers that the time spent in drilling the last two months has been well spent. It is true that the company fronts were not as even as they might have been and occasionally a corporal or a platoon leader would so disarrange his unit as to cause a moment's confuson, but taken all in all the performance was most creditable for so early in the year.

At 3.30 o'clock the companies were marched individually to the field, and for an hour went through company drill. At about 4.45 o'clock the three majors took command of their battalions, and for the next half-hour the men were put through battalion maneuvers. At 5.30 the regiment formed across the field in line of battalions for retreat, and the impressive ceremony was performed without a hitch. Immediately afterwards the companies passed in review before Captains Cordier, Bowen, and Shannon, and then marched back to headquarters with the band.

Recruiting Begins After Recess.

The Corps will be thrown open to new men immediately after the Easter recess. Professor Greenough, aid for assignments, is making careful preparation to handle the recruits in order that they may be detailed to companies with as little confusion as possible. The military office force has been increased and it is stated that the expected 1,000 men will be assimilated with little difficulty. At present three army captains, six sergeants and 22 members of the Faculty, as well as Professor Greenough and Professor Lyman, the secretary and treasurer of the Corps, are devoting their time to the training of the men. The six French officers who sailed from France several days ago to assist in the drill work are expected to report for duty before the end of the vacation.