THE FIRST FIGHTING TEST

The last term begins with the decision concerning the future of the R. O. T. C. still in the balance. President Lowell is in Washington today conferring with the members of the War College about the establishment of an additional training camp in Cambridge, and a definite statement can be expected soon. Whatever the decision may be, it ought not to deter any students from fulfilling the imperative duties of the next two weeks.

The plunging of this country into the world-war has given the thinking citizens of the United States a more serious attitude towards the difficult problems ahead of them. Although many unfortunately still regard the struggle in Europe merely as interested spectators attending a great pageant, Harvard undergraduates have continually heard the call to arms grow more and more distinct. Thus their change of attitude has not been sudden. The future promises grave problems and many hardships for the young men of the country. There is more harm than good in anticipating unseen dangers, but it is all-important to fortify ourselves with a serious spirit of undaunted courage.

The first test of the fighting ability of Harvard men in the R. O. T. C. will take place during the next two weeks. The power to concentrate, the power to stick to an irksome task, the power to do one's duty when anything else would be pleasanter, all these will be thoroughly tested before one shot has been fired. The man who works successfully and passes his final examinations with high grades will have proved his capability of becoming a valuable officer. The first hours of tedious study to fit ourselves to be officers are at hand. The first test of our fighting strength will be made. We shall not be found lacking.