HIGH REQUIREMENTS IN NAVY

NEED TO TRAINING POINTED OUT BY ASSISTANT SECRETARY ROOSEVELT.

In an interview with a CRIMSON reporter in his office in the State, War and Navy Building at Washington last week Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, expressed his appreciation of the work already done by members of the University in connection with the several branches of the Naval Reserve, and gave a few words of advice to men contemplating enlistment in this arm of the service. During the course of the interview he made the following statement:

"It must be understood in the first place that a naval officer requires training of a most complicated type--he must understand navigation, the handling of guns and many other things not necessary to a lieutenant of infantry. Without such special training the great mass of college men are not fitted to become naval officers of even the lowest rank, although they might make most capable second lieutenants in the army. The various branches of the naval service are, however, in great need of men, and there are many positions in which college men can be of valuable service.

"In advising you men desiring to do naval work as to the course that you should follow in the present emergency, I should say that the best thing to do is to enter the Naval Reserve with the intention of performing such work as the authorities may think suitable for each man according to his individual qualifications as an engineer, a navigator, a wireless operator, etc. He may be assigned to a patrol boat squadron, to deep-sea work, to foreign service or service in this country.

"At present we are so pressed for men that new men will have to receive the greater part of their training while in service. Each man will, if he has the necessary qualifications, receive the opportunity of promotion to the rank of ensign or to a higher position."

In reply to a question concerning naval training camps, Mr. Roosevelt said: "Without doubt naval training posts will be established in each of the naval districts some time during the summer, but exactly where or when I am unable to say now. In these posts training in navigation, the operation of guns, and engineering will be given to fit the recruits for various branches of the service.

"The work already done by Harvard men connected with the navy is commendable and we need more of it."